Blogging may sound easy. It’s as easy as choosing what you wanna blog and start blogging right?? I see a lot of people on Twitter asking for blogging tips. Tweets like
- “Can anyone care to share with me about blogging tips?”
- “How can I make a successful blog?”
- “There are so many things I’ve heard about blogging. Where should I start?”
Of course when I see questions like that, I seize the opportunity to answer their questions and help them.
This is what I can tell every newbie blogger.
Before You Begin….
1. It is NOT for EVERYONE – Yes, you heard that right. This applies especially to those who wants to build a successful and thriving blog that is MORE than just a hobby. You don’t see many Mashable or TechCrunch do you?
2.It is HARD WORK – If anyone tells you otherwise, they are talking bulls… In short, your blog is as good as how much effort you put into it.
3. Don’t Expect Quick Results – If you expect quick results, expect disappointment. This point adds on the previous one. It takes time to see the results.
4. Are you passionate? – Before you become part of the statistic, (8/10 drop out) are you passionate enough to continue blogging and make your blog GREAT?
5. Are you making time for it? – If you are passionate, you won’t have issues with this. If you have at least spare 10 hours a week, it’s a good start.
6.The Blogging Mindset – Read this post and tell me what you think, 5 Personalities of A Successful Blogger.
8. Research before starting one – A lot of people might tell you to just do it. But, you must find out what you want to blog about and why.
9. What is your niche? – This really follows through from the previous point. Do your research, find your niche and get started. NOT the other way round.
10. Are you in a very competitive niche – You can still succeed but its harder. But if you really like it, then nothing can stop you.
Blogging and Beyond…
1. Use WordPress! – Why? Because it is the best out there. Consider this:
- Ever growing list of highly customizable themes.
- Ever growing list of plugins
- Clean code, search engine friendly
- GOOGLE LOVES WORDPRESS
2. Don’t start selling things! – This is the one of the biggest mistake you can do with your blog. Don’t turn your blog into a sales page. Why? Read the next point
3. Write good quality content – That’s right. Before you start doing anything else, write good quality content FIRST. That’s what a blog is all about. Content.. Content.. Content.
4. Content alone is not enough – WHAT? Yes. If you are the greatest content writer in blogging history you still need people to read what you are writing, which brings me to the next point
5. Network and Build Relationships – This is probably one of the most important thing you need to do even as you are writing and churning content daily. You CANNOT succeed alone. What should you do?
- Find blogs in your niche and comment on blog.
- Stay active. Contribute and add value.
- Repeat steps a & b again and again…
6. Promote Your Blog! – Read this post on how to promote your blog. This step and the previous point will really boost your blog reputation. Trust me..
7. Don’t forget SEO – Master the basics of SEO. Get good tools to help you out with this. You don’t have to be the next Aaron Wall or Rand Fishkin.
8. Your Blog Design - I believe this comes next after content. A poorly designed website is gonna chase all your readers away.
9. Embrace Failure – There’s no foolproof way to be a successful blogger. You might not make it even if you’ve gone through all the points that I’ve mentioned. Think about this:
“We need the agony of short-term failure to ensure delicious long-term and long lasting success.”
10. Take A Break – When you are uninspired. Stop and relax. Your subconscious mind will do the thinking.
11. Seek Help/Mentor – Sometimes you need a boost and you need some guidance. There are always people to help you out. You can even consider a blog membership with forums and lessons to help you out.
12. You, my readers continue to add this…
For the experienced, what are your ingredients to success. What has brought you this far? I would love to hear from you about this.
Related articles For A Newbie Blogger
Do you need help with Starting A Wordpress Site?
Then...use Thesis just like the pros around. Even if you are not a pro, Thesis has a great supporting community and forum to help you with questions on how to use Thesis. Finally, if you need access to resources that I use for my business online, check out my resources page. You will find goodies and gems that might help you as well.